I wasn't mad after the loss to Washington. Taking 3 out of 4 on a season opening road trip is nothing to shake a stick at. They also hit about 600 posts (rough count) that game. I wasn't even mad after the loss to San Jose. They fought back hard. Had they capitalized on a couple chances in the first forty minutes then it is a way different game. Last night though? Last night pissed me the fuck off. Same shit, different season. Blown leads happen, but they happen way too often under this coaching staff. It's not even the blown leads that kill me, it's putting your players in the position to blow leads.
I like Peter Deboer. I was glad he kept his job. He is a great coach. When it comes to X's and O's he is great at getting the most out of the talent he is surrounded with. When it comes to personnel choices is may as well be Helen Keller. In fact, I think Ms. Keller could create better defensive pairing by picking out of a hat. Is there no way we can get someone that makes better in-game player decisions. I know it's the logo on the front that matters, but when we are tied with 90 seconds to go, or in OT, the names on the back are pretty imperative.
Fuck it, let's go list form…
-Glad Larsson played. He is a better player defensively than Gelinas, although they both have their shortcomings. Did he have a couple turnovers? Yeah. However, he was Nicklas Lidstrom compared to the 'Abortion Pairing'*. Can we stop treating him like he is still 18? 12 minutes of ice time while Salvador and Zidlicky were awful all game is inexcusable. Let the kid sink or swim. Especially if the team is going to sink anyway. Rather have some young legs attempting to keep us afloat.
-* The Abortion pairing. Salvador and Zidlicky. The pairing that should have been killed before it ever came into existence. A product of unprotected decision making. What the fuck was that? Zidlicky is the biggest risk taker on the defensive end. So you paired him with the guy that is too slow to clean up after an aging tortoise? Zids is very high risk/high reward, and we need offense from the back end, but sweet Jesus can we at least give him someone who is, at the very least, handicapable. Can't even begin to fathom what the thought process was behind having them on for an offensive zone draw in OT.
- I love Stephen Gionta. That's why Deboer's obsession with him drives me to drink (more). Great 4th line WINGER. Hasn't won a faceoff since the Clinton administration. I could count his face-off winning percentage on a T-Rex hand. Let him get 4th line minutes like he should be. I don't need him out there with the Elias line with 90 seconds left. Inexcusable. You play to WIN the game. That's playing not to lose, and we see how that turned out. Like I said, I love Gio. However, when I see him put in positions where he is doomed to fail it makes me resent him.
- The Devils were the home team last night. That means they got last change. That is supposed to be a positive. When I saw Zubrus and Clowe step on the ice after Chris Krieder I SCREAMED 'FUCK'. This isn't in retrospect. I literally asked out loud 'why are they on the ice together?'. I love both their games, and they fit in well in the system. I do not want to see either of them in a 4 on 4 situation, especially not together.
- Jordin Tootoo. I hated that I knew he was going to make the cut. Absolutely hated it. Why are we stuck in the 90's every fucking season? You don't need a fighter. You need toughness. Tootoo has all of one scoring chance on the season. It was last night, and he fell all over himself trying to get to a rebound. He's awful. Give me Gomez. Give me Ruutu. Give me fuckin' Josefson, and I HATE Josefson. Anyone that can skate and adds any semblance of 2-way play to the lineup.
- Laughing out loud at Brunner being scratched to start the season. He has been all over the ice seen he has been in the lineup. He's not the most defensively sound player in the world. He doesn't serve much purpose on a traditional 3rd or 4th line. But he can make plays and create offense. Something the Devils desperately need.
- Anyone that thinks Schneider has been an issue needs their fucking head examined. In fact, we should just go full ISIS and chop it off. Has he had some goals that he wish he could have back? Yes. But he is the very least of our worries.
I thought we were headed in the right direction with the personnel decisions when we sent down Harrold and Bernier. My God. I have never seen so many head scratchers in my entire life.
P.S. Seversen makes me tingle below the belt. Never seen a young defenseman so calm and poised in both ends. It's like the first time I heard the Beatles. Kid is making Petey look good. He's going to turn into an absolute gem.
P.P.S. Rangers fans, you still haven't won anything. So with all due respect…...