Of Course Carmelo Anthony Believes That A Gold Medal Means Just As Much As An NBA Championship
BSO- Team USA point guard Kyrie Irving, who made the claim the other day that an NBA championship and a gold medal are “pretty much the same.”
“I believe so,” Anthony said in support of Irving’s proclamation, insisting he finds tremendous satisfaction in his status as the only four-time Olympian in U.S. men’s basketball history … with a record third gold medal just six wins away now.
“I believe so.”
It obviously behooves Anthony to take that stance, with no championship in sight back home for Melo and his beloved New York Knickerbockers.
Look, I'm not going to go the easy route here. That would just as disingenuous as Carmelo Anthony stocking up on Gold medals against lackluster international competition and then trying to declare himself one of the most accomplished players in the NBA. Anyone with half a brain knows that winning an NBA title is unquestionably more difficult and undeniable more admirable than whatever accolades result from beating the piss out of 2nd and 3rd world countries whose basketball players are half the size of the United States'. In fact, if they didn't know then all they would need to do to get an idea of just how much the two differ prestige wise is take a look at the list of players that respectfully declined to show up in Rio because they were tired. So no, I won't write an entire blog about Carmelo Anthony justifying his inability to achieve success in the states. I will, however, compare him doing so to other instances in which the same thought process was used...
- Carmelo Anthony is the kid and showed up to 'Show and Tell' with Fake Jordan's.
- Carmelo Anthony is the dude ordering something that comes served on a skillet at AppleBee's and claiming that all steak dinners were created equally.
- Carmelo Anthony is the like the guy that graduated from Duke and started telling people he went to the 'Harvard Of The South' without an ounce of sarcasm in his voice.
- Carmelo Anthony is the guy rolling around in a Corolla telling his friends that Toyota's and Lexus's are made by the same company.
- Carmelo Anthony is kid that plays 'Madden' on 'Rookie' and then snapchats his stats to his buddies.
- Carmelo Anthony is the cheap ass that shows up to a post college party with a bottle of Evan Williams.
- Carmelo Anthony is any person that's every consciously purchased Hunt's ketchup.
- Carmelo Anthony is the guy that calls his Microsoft tablet an 'iPad'.
- Carmelo Anthony is anyone that truly believes that Sprint provides America's most dependable 3G.
Don't get me wrong. Considering the company he keeps he almost has to grasp at these straws to stay sane, but I'll by demanded if Carmelo's glorification of international success in basketball is anymore than a semi-delusional rationalization of his failures. In fact, if there's anyone to blame here it's Kyrie Irving for making it socially acceptable for him to say so out loud. Thanks a lot Kyrie. You gave him the entry pass and now you got Melo looking like this as he tries to fight through the double team of common sense and public perception...
Leave a Reply.